1. How do the
definitions in the first chapter compare to your own definition of
instructional or educational technology?
What experiences or other influences have shaped your definition? How has your definition changed from
examining the definitions in the first chapter of this book?
When I began classes for my Master’s in Educational
Technology this past spring, I came with the idea that “Educational Technology”
meant using computers and the internet in my classroom. With my first course, I modified my definition
slightly to include all “media” devices from televisions to VCR’s. The next course made me look more at how I
created and planned lessons to meet certain criteria in both educational
philosophy’s and technology ideals.
After reading Chapter 1 and the definitions presented as the concept has
evolved over the last decade, I have come to realize it is about the design of
the instruction, not just the technology we use. Technology and media is great and does have
place in my classroom, but if the content and objectives are not being met,
then it is just playing on a computer or watching a video. Not even close to what it is meant to
be. It is also about continuing the
instruction past “school” and into the workplace. This should have already come to me as I came
from the business world prior to teaching.
Keeping abreast of the latest technology and processes was very
important in my career field, as it is with teaching. If I did not attend conferences and training
seminars, I would never see how others were using the technology with success,
nor learn some of the latest abilities of the software we used. Reading the evolving definitions in this
chapter, made me realize how our thoughts evolve and mature as we learn and add
onto our prior knowledge of our field.
They also evolve as technology and learning theories are updated with new
discoveries.
2. Next, think of a
lesson or unit of instruction that you have developed. Or if you haven’t ever taught or developed instruction,
think of one that you have received. How
does that lesson adhere or fail to adhere to the six characteristics of
instructional design? How would you
redesign it to better adhere to the six characteristics?
Each year, we discuss catastrophic events and human impact
in science. A few years ago, I found a
webquest that covers various catastrophic events and tweaked it to use with my
Pre-AP students. I did not know about
instructional design, and therefor did not have that in mind when I finished
tweaking the assignment. After looking
through it, I have decided that it did follow many of the six characteristics.
1. Instructional
design is student centered: the students
work in teams to research their event and present their information to the
class as a whole.
2. Instructional
design is goal oriented: the goals
(objectives) were explained in the instructions that students received at the
beginning of the project. I made sure we
went over them as a class, but they were also in writing for students to
reflect on later in the project.
3. Instructional
design focuses on meaningful performance:
students were asked to present the information they learned during their
research to the class at the end. Each
student was told to take notes on important points during each presentation.
4. Instructional
design assumes outcomes can be measured in a reliable and valid way: for this characteristic, I could see possibly
adding a pre-test to see what students already know, before they conduct the
research. Then when they finish
presenting to the class, each would take a follow-up assessment to see if they
added to their prior knowledge. It does
have specific questions to guide them in their research and also to let them
know the goals of the project, but an actual before/after assessment would
benefit them as well.
5. Instructional design
is empirical, iterative, and self-correcting:
I was a little unclear of what this particular characteristic is. With that in mind, I am going to take a stab
in the dark and say that the data collected from the pre-assessment and then
the post-assessment would give me an idea if the students had learned the information
I wanted them to, or if I need to go back and tweak the project more to get the
desired results. I am not sure what
changes I would make, and since I did not use this project this past school
year, I am unable at this time to give any information on anything that might
need to be changed.
6. Instructional
design typically is a team effort: this
might be one of the hardest ones for me.
I typically find things on the internet and if needed re-create them
based on the original concept. My
colleagues usually ask me to find something as they are unsure how to find
it. I do ask their opinions before making
the final product, but usually, I am the one who designs it. After reading this characteristic, I realize
how important it is to collaborate on ideas rather than doing all the work
myself. It might also save me a lot of
time spent on weekends “working” when I should be saving that time for my
family.
Since it has been at least a year since I used this project,
I am not able at this time to give any exact information on what needs to be
changed. I plan to look over it in the
coming year and make some of the changes already mentioned above, but I think
with any lesson we design, until I use it and take these characteristics into
consideration, it is impossible for me to make a decision on what changes I
need to make.
3. In the 3rd
chapter, Reiser distinguishes instructional media from instructional design,
excluding teacher, chalkboards, and textbooks from the definition of
instructional media. Why? Would you consider teachers, chalkboards, and
textbooks instructional media? Is the
purpose of instructional design to incorporate media into instruction?
First, I think Reiser separates instructional media from
instructional design so that we understand how each has evolved over the past
century. More often than not, we
automatically assume that instructional media is included in instructional
design, but he wants us to see the difference between the two. As far as excluding teachers, chalkboards,
and textbooks from the idea of instructional media, I think one of the reasons
he does is because it is a given that teachers and textbooks will be part of
instruction. However, I think he is
underestimating the influence of the teacher and textbook in a classroom. This year I tried a few times to create
videos of me presenting the material and having students watch them at home
during the week before coming to class.
Many said they missed the extra things I added and stories that related
in our discussions. They did not
necessarily say they disliked the videos, but wanted more information than what
was presented in each one.
Instructional design, as the history in this chapter
portrayed it, seemed to more about how to design instruction rather than
incorporating media, at least until the 1970s when the military began creating
training material for their use in training personnel. While Reiser mentions at the end of the
chapter that the two overlap, it seemed that the history of design focused more
on how it was thought up and not on the media used. I think ultimately, we should look at how to
incorporate media into the design of instruction. Otherwise, the media may not lend any purpose
or value to our instruction.
Kim, your statement that technology is "just playing on a computer or watching a video" if the class "content and objectives are not being met" is well put. I enjoyed reading about how your understanding of the definition for IDT evolved as you learned more from your classes and related it to your work experience. The assignment you describe seems to follow the characteristics of instructional design well. I noticed that you interpreted #6 differently than I did--I took the team effort characteristic to mean a team effort of the students rather than a collaborative effort of teachers. I'll have to re-read that part of the chapter with your perspective in mind.
ReplyDeletekim, I am taking my first class towards my masters this semester. I agree with your statement that I came into this class with the thought that educational technology, just meant using computers and the internet in the classroom. From reading chapter 1, I realized that my definition was outdated and needed to be updated to include all media forms, and to actually design my lessons around technology. I hope that my definition will continue to grow and change, as you have expressed in your post. That through taking all these classes on technology and library science, that I will have a better understanding of how and when to incorporate technology into my lesson plans.
ReplyDeleteI like your comment about "playing on the computer and watching a video". My administration reminds us always, videos are not babysitting tools and should be used to reinforce the instruction. Technology is like any other resource, it must be monitored and maintained to insure it is working properly and being used properly. Just like you I too came from the business world before I began my teaching career, and I agree with you educators must keep abreast of new and changing technologies. The business world must stay up-to-date to be successful and I believe education must also.
ReplyDeleteThe videos you created for the students to watch before coming to class reaffirms how technology media must be evaluated for student engagement and learning. The old adage, “build it and they will come,” cannot be further from the truth with technology and education. There must be a reason for the technology and it must be properly tied to the instruction and moreover the student learning. Your videos are a great example of how students are passively learning while sitting and watching someone else do something. Creating videos for your students to watch might be a great opportunity to begin the lesson, and then in class build upon the material they have viewed with questions and discussions.